William FitzGerald Levin 1879-1915

Major W.F.G.Levin ( familiarly known as "Bootie"), Born Wellington Dec.6 1879. the younger son of W H and Amy Levin ( Nee FitzGerald) . His father, a successful merchant /financier whose own father had emigrated from England to Wellington, New Zealand in 1842. WFGL was educated at Wanganui Collegiate School in NZ,and briefly at Rugby School in England Rugby school register and Oxford University England (although, according to Amy, his Mother, his university career and that of his older brother Bob left something to be desired) At Oxford he rowed for his college, Merton. WFG Levin He later became a professional soldier with a commission in the Kings Dragoon Guards, a British regiment, for two years WFG Levin and children, one of which he spent on garrison duty in South Africa.

After resigning his commission he returned to NZ to be married on 12th Jan 1904 to  Zoe Johnston. They settled on land near Marton in the North Island,and built the homestead known as "Rawhitiroa" Greatford Home 

(later destroyed by fire). He also received a commission in the NZ volunteer reserve  Volunteer Officer Army in which he retained a strong and active interest.

Polo He had three children,  Charles b.12/12/04, Amy b.12/3/06 (known as Kai) and Sybil b.28/07/08. I know that my father, Charles, was born at home at Greatford so it is likely that the same applies to his sisters. His occupation could best be described as gentleman farmer, as in those days he was a well-to-do landowner.   A gentleman rower He was in England visiting his mother in 1913 when war broke out but returned to NZ in 1914 and enlisted in the Expeditionary Force about October that year and was sent overseas shortly afterwards.

The records show he spent seven months at Gallipoli and received the appropriate four service medals posthumously. His war medals

A photo taken with other officers This photo Maj. Powles, Captain Wallingford, Major King and sitting above, Major Levin

He was severely wounded on Dec. 18th, the penultimate day of the Anzac campaign shortly before his embarkation, then taken by hospital ship to Alexandria where he died in hospital early on Christmas morning 1915 aged just 37,and is buried there in the military cemetery. His This letter from C E W Bean reflects his view of the Gallipoli campaign

From the hospital a Miss Menke wrote to Bootie's younger sister, Mona, this  letter

A letter from the Australian, Colonel Lesslie to Zoe,  front and  back page

I see from his army records that he was 189 lbs and 5'10'' tall. I have letters of condolence from Generals Birdwood and Russell. General Russell's  Letter  to his widow Zoe, both of whom spoke highly of his service with them.At Gallipoli Sadly Zoe only survived her husband by six months and died on 22/06/16 leaving the children in the care of guardians and with little experience of home life thereafter.

I have a letter describing his final hours and his last words ."don't wake me up for anything, I am so sleepy". His memory is commemorated by a plaque in the Greatford Church and a stained glass  window in the Wanganui Collegiate School Chapel..